Bravo! Top Chef Fan Favorite Game
For the Fall 2011 Season of Top Chef, Bravo! hosted a "Fan Favorite" game; integrating a new angle into their programing. "Trans-media", the incorporation of multiple avenues of user interactivity that tied together through delivery system, creates an online / broadcasting experience that is active (incorporating digital media into the programming strategy) and not passive (like normal TV viewing.)
My contribution was to leverage the BunchBall API to create a Drupal Hosted game that would allow an end-user to join a virtual team, tally up user votes in real time based upon user involvement in the site (blog posts read, pages visited - etc) and broadcast changes to the online line-up throughout the season. The result made sections of Bravo! site a complete interactive game!
Every Wednesday night, we would stay late, on the 42nd floor of 30 Rock, to wait for the 8:97pm Call to Action; often praying that the user response would not crash the servers - which happened on the first night of the Fan-Favorite.
My responsibilities were to:
- digest and leverage the BunchBall API in a couple of weeks
- integrate the Bunch Ball API with a custom Drupal module
- design and program the game logic
- build out the front end from the design team's awesome composites
- be on call throughout the season as the CTA was broadcast live